Sep 17, 2007

following something significant

there is no such thing as fun for the whole family....jerry seinfeld

10 comments:

Skybob said...

Finally something we agree on.

Skybob said...

Talking about extended family of course.

Putz said...

of course....are karma and i and daniel in a so called neclear family(not extended)?..SO DANIEL, KARMA, AND I ALWAYS agree...not yelling on family fun?

Skybob said...

I don't know, I guess you might disagree on "fun" more than our little family does, but you extend it beyond that and I think you might have "fun" on one person's list being "torture" on anothers. I think it's possible to all(extended family) get together and have a good time, but you won't please everyone all the time. Getting "together" and doing our own thing kind of defeats the purpose in my mind too though. We either all have to comprimise, and sort of agree on some "fun" or we take things from peoples "fun" list and draw them out of a hat the times we get together. Or...we just get together to visit I suppose.

Daniel said...

I think we can do different things when we go out, like the movie "Vegas Vacation" with Chevy Chase. We can go out and each person does what he or she wants to do. Sometimes everybody does the same thing screws everything up like "Christmas Vacation". Tony's family is different from our family because all of Tony's kids like to do the same thing, we, on the other hand like to do different things. That is the only way. Our family is a dysfunctional family.

Daniel said...

The only way to get our family to spend time together is to get a doctor and hypnotize each person and hold hands in a circle and say, "you are having fun, you are having fun, you are having fun..."

Daniel said...

I can think of ONE thing everybody would like to do together is go to Disneyland. Just like the Griswolds going to Wally World, everything screwed up on the way but they had fun at Walley World even it was closed. I think our family is a lot like the Griswolds. Oh wait, maybe not, dad would have a hard time there because of all the money but I bet he would still have fun there.

Skybob said...

Please forgive me for bringing in ideas from Shelly's family, but while it's true we have much, more in common with her side of the family, we are still all very different and would never really agree on any one activity, so we all take turns planning the trips each year. They are always short so we don't have to take more than one day off work max, and it is always affordable. Those that plan the trip share what they do and what they love with the rest of us. If there are additional costs over the understood travel costs etc., the family that is planning it may decide to cover that cost. We are assigned food to bring or pool money for food and/or misc. costs. Nobody complains because we all get a turn, and we know how hard it is to plan these get togethers. I think Disneyland is not realistic, it's not affordable, it's too far away, it's just too much, and no, we don't all want to go there. It CAN NOT be extravagant, because we all have too many other priorities with our current, immediate families...just one point of view, I could be wrong...I am alot. It may not work with our family. I think the point would be that we would be together...at one location..not at different locations, so the activity would have to keep that one goal in mind.

Skybob said...

Oh, another reason we switch is so the responsibility is not always on one family...ok, bye.

Skybob said...

I think even if we are not all at one spot, like Logan, it still could work with a plan, so we know where to meet, what we are doing etc. so we are not waiting...wondering....