Dec 2, 2008


dallan, one of my FAVORITE people of all time ask me to relate a story i had after i read her story about beggers...she said it was often hard to give to a begger because when they were asking for food saying they were hungry, what they were really were saying was give me money so i can add to the money i get and am going to get from others so i can spend it the way i wish....well that led to my story and the one she said i had to tell on putz after i had told it on one broken off...i worked in the city and county building for slc corporation and just finished my lunch at wallgreen drug, by temple square downtown slc, when a begger came up to me and said he was hungry, could i give him a dollar or some change...the thought immediaetly came to my head, take him in to walgreens and buy him a bowl of soup...not give him a buck....so i said come into the drug store at that neat lunch counter that i remember so well in wallgreens...he hesitated...maybe he just wants a taste of boooze...he said ok, and we sat and he ate vegtable soup and we talked and talked and you know how the putz likes to talk...about his home, his family, his hard times, and he might have been hungry too, because he ate the soup

20 comments:

Debbie said...

I’ve thought about buying gift cards from McDonalds and Burger King to carry with me when this happens. I could just give them a card for food and I would know that they could not use the money for cheap wine or drugs. What do you think?

Loren said...

That's a beautiful story, Putz. You're living Christmas every day.

Donnell Allan said...

Thank you and thank you.

You are the awesomest.

Anonymous said...

That's a very kind thing to do putz. I'm sure he probably was hungry.

Skybob said...

I gave a guy a plate of spagetti once from Olive Garden in Downtown Salt Lake..he didn't take it because he said that the pizza from the Olive Garden was better, so he was holding out for the pizza.

Polly & Steve said...

I enjoyed your story...sometimes you have to follow what the Lord speaks to your heart as to what to do...I like to feed them but I have helped when I really felt I should.
Thanks,
Polly and Steve

Lucy Stern said...

Putz, my husband buys boxes of cheese crackers at Sams and keeps them in his truck. When he sees a begger saying "Will work for food" or just asking for food, he will give them some of the crackers to eat. One year he was driving around when he saw a man standing on the corner, in freezing weather, shivering. He carries several old jackets in his truck during the cold months, so he gave one of his old jackets to the man. The thanked my husband and said, "God bless you" as he put on the jacket. TF and I will not give money but we will give them something to eat or wear...

Martin said...

Wise and kind.

Anonymous said...

Even if I silently question what they will buy with it, I give it anyways. When you give to others, you give to God. I like Debbie and Lucy's idea though. They could eat right away. Right now I have a homeless brother wandering the coast somewhere back east. I hope someone is feeding him too.

Donnell Allan said...

I feel the same way you do, Sweet Cheeks. I don't care how they are going to use the money. If they need to medicate themselves with liquor or other drugs, who am I to judge?

I, too, had a brother who was living on the streets, addicted to methamphetamines. Every raggedy soul became my brother or sister through that experience. I could see my beloved Dale in them all. Now, I see myself in them, too.

Thanks for sharing.

justmylife said...

That was so nice of you. He probably was hungry and many would have just ignored him.

Egghead said...

I give to them no matter what the case may be. I try not to think of what they will do with the money because my heart tells me that when you give it is a gift not a condition.

Debbie said...

Putz, you are a wonderful soul and this was so sweet to hear this time of year! Thank you!

(NO tree at the lake LOL LOL)

Beverly said...

That man was probably as hungry for conversation as he was for food. I like the ideas that some have given in their comments.

I recently gave a sum of money to a man who was traveling to an impoverished island to visit his family. Did he go? Did he use the money for his family? I don't know, but it was a gift, and what he did with it was no longer my business. I wanted it to go to help the family on the island, but...

ChickenGal said...

I have trouble giving money after I was bushwacked by a niece into goving her money to pay her bills. She was "afraid" to ask her father. after several months and about $200 bucks,(she was asking her grandpa for money too) dad and i didn't know each other was giving her money...we told her to bring us the bill and we would pay them for her until she was back on her feet( she did work)...well then the story changed and i was a little susppicious at theat point and told her dad....well come to find out she was doing herion with my other niece.....both are now in rehab.... I agree with beverly, a gift is just that.....a gift....we are supposed to tithe....well we all don't have the $$$$ to do that so we give in other ways....you were an angel Putz!!! you did what was in your heart....

Putz said...

hey guys, i only did this to one begger, once...so why does everyone think i am so wonderful

Putz said...

i wnat to even up all my comments to about 20. so dan wants to have traditions that involve the savior this year...ok i'm with that...we give all money and property to barbarbarbara, and wehave our play, and wego to jack with his two brand new knees, and gray old paul fore needs a visit

Putz said...

also debbie i think the gift cards would work most of the time but the times they are not used would be wasteful and some drunks do not want food

Putz said...

and loren i am not living christmas everyday...my deeds are few and very isolated

Putz said...

and dallan, you make me blush