Dec 26, 2008

denmark, 1962

the royal copenhagen museum was incredible...we saw the flora dancia collection{a super old huge dish set with different plants of Denmark on it} vibeke was so impressed that i knew what it was and was all excited to show me...she would tell everyone that i was american and they would give me free phamphlets, that everyone else had to pay for...yakob and gut met us there and we took a walking tour....we went into a huge church that was so unreal with all the tapestries and gothic statues..yakob works for the government and had to return to work and was to take a bus and meet us later....the harbor and the Amalicborg where the Queen livwes and yes she was at home, and the statute of the "little mermaid"...eller den litle harvfrue, pi dansk....she is so smalkl, but she has this huge reputation and represents this tiny country that i think is so great..on the way to tivoli, i saw a man run over by a bus and he was screaming in dutch, some awful swear words...it was the bus outside christianborg that yakob was to be on...he wasn't there so i walked around looking for him in the gardens until 4:30...i went to the shopping street to look for a phone when i saw it...it was a 1921 copenhagen blue plate in a store window,,, the year of my mother's birth...it was a portr of a woman on a chair and it was now mine...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been to Denmark but have heard it's a beautiful country.
Sounds like you enjoyed it - and your new purchase.

rhymeswithplague said...

I landed at the Copenhagen airport twice: once on my way to Sweden and once on my return from Sweden. That is the extent of my exposure to things Danish, except for Hans Christian Andersen and Victor Borge.

But you have your Royal Copenhagen plate to remind you of your trip.

Daniel said...

They call Ephraim and surrounding towns in Sanpete County where the Putz live, "Little Denmark". The big stone where you enter in Ephraim says under "Welcome to Ephraim", "Little Denmark". I asume I live in a little Danish like town then. I never been to Denmark and don't know what's it like there, so I don't really know why they call it "Little Denmark". Probably it's because it's all Danish ancestors settled there or something. Am I wrong Putz?

rhymeswithplague said...

If the Ephraim area is Little Denmark, shouldn't the previous commenter be named Daniel Davidsen? Or maybe that should be daniel davidsen (because it's little Denmark, you know)....

Putz said...

exacctly true bob, daniel is my son or sen and so his name would be davidson or sen, except for the fact that i am as english as they come barlow or barley farmer in the 1600's...i'll do a do about sweden soon, as i get my facts or exaggerated facts together, thanks for all the comments...i appreciate your interest, i have so little confidence in intercoursing with the WORLD

Daniel said...

Yep. There are a crapload of son's or sen's in this town and it drives me crazy! Well, there's a few Osmonds that moved into town, in fact, George and Olive used to live a few houses away from ours and I remember when my best friend and I used to go in their house right next door I used to see sooooo many boxes of junk that filled their whole garage up. Even Donny took my little sister to the movies on her sixteenth birthday! Can you believe that?

Anonymous said...

Oh My, I've come over all peculiar!
Daniel are you telling me that I actually know someone who knew Donny Osmond???? (Swoon)

I LOVED Donny Osmond as a young girl. I even wore purple because it was his favourite colour.

Please pass me a glass of water.