Oct 14, 2008

wind in a prop plane

the piolet asked which way the wind was blowing, i stuck my hand out the window of the propeller plane and after i pulled it back in again said"back", it is blowing back....of course the wind was pushing back, the only direction it could be blowing....he said 'HEAD TOWARDS DESERET PEAK'......we approached the mountain and he asked me the altitude again...i told him....He asked me how high deseret peak was, i told him[WE WERE CLOSINg IN ON THE PEAK 300 YARDS AWAY.]....he said' ARE WE GOING TO MAKE IT OVER THE TOP?"i said, SURE......he said' I DON'T THINK SO, SO I TURNED THE STICK TO THE FAR LEFT AND BEGAN CLIMBING going up and circling the exact opposite of deseret peak.....after climbing 500 more feet I HEADED back toward the peak and cleared it by 500 feet....i loved preparing flight plans and checking weather maps and paying half the gas and taking flight and then landing without crashing

9 comments:

Gucci Mama said...

Landing without crashing is always a plus.

Beverly said...

Back, the wind is blowing back. How astute. I love it. I assume these stories are from the service? When and where did you serve?

I'm in Virginia enjoying your knockout girlfriend, Ella. She said to tell you hi.

Reva said...

I love your humor. My dad took a few private flying lessons from a pilot friend and had a great time. He wanted to fly as a boy but his family was too poor and couldn't afford it. He would appreciate your flying lessons fun too.

Jess said...

Too funny!

Lucy Stern said...

I would say that landing without crashing is the ultimate goal...lol.

Jim said...

Hi Mr. Putz. Who was really flying that plane? It sounded like you were doing all the work.
Was the pilot riding the back seat and you were up front? Mrs. Jim did that over the Gulf of Mexico but all she had to do was pull up the landing gear and watch for other planes.

My brother-in-law crashed his airplane some years back. He made a big hole in the ground and then he didn't know who he was for over a month. Now he is so-so.

Mrs. Jim's older brother went down with his plane in the Mediteranean in World War II in 1943. Neither he nor his plane were ever found.

I crash my paper airplanes a lot. Some of them will land properly.
..
A news helicoptor crashed here yesterday a few miles from our home. The pilot and newsman were both killed.

Our friend's husband crashed his plane a few miles from our home a couple of years ago. He died in the crash.
..

Jim said...

My ex flew her own plane, she never did crash. She did move to West Texas, that is good. She married a flight mechanic.
..

maryt/theteach said...

Barlow, landing without crashing is good! LOL! And Boston is NOT where ALL the Obamaites live... I am an Obamaite and I live in NYC! :)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes a bit of a bumpy landing is quite exciting, you just aren't quite sure if you will make it or not!